If you’re preparing to have an Easter celebration, don’t forget to plan how to keep your pets safe from the all the tempting treats around. Pets can be very sneaky and with your attention elsewhere it’s a safe bet that someone will get into something they shouldn’t. Before you make the baskets and hide the eggs, read our list of top five hazards to your pet this Easter.
Chocolate and candy
Most Easter candy is made with milk chocolate, which is less dangerous than cocoa, and semi-sweet and baker’s chocolates. If your dog does get into the goods this handy chocolate toxicity calculator can help you determine if he needs to go to the vet. Even if there aren’t enough methylxanthines (the substances that are toxic), a mass amount of sugar can cause gastrointestinal upset. The last thing you want to be doing on a holiday is cleaning up a mess.
Chances are your pet will want to eat Easter grass because it’s shiny, crinkly, and probably touched food. Like ribbons, it can accumulate in his intestines and cause a blockage. Bowel obstruction is a life-threatening and painful condition that requires immediate veterinary attention.
Ham (and people food)
Don’t let your well-intentioned relatives slip something to Fido & Fluffy under the dinner table. Ham is high in both fat and sodium- neither of which are good for your pup’s pancreas in particular. It can be a condition you and your pet have to deal with the rest of his life, so do him a favor and skip the table scraps.
Whether they are real or plastic, take care to pick up any eggs left behind after the hunt. Plastic shards from a chewed up egg can wreak havoc on your pet’s intestines and land him at the vet for bowel obstruction surgery. Hard boiled and dyed eggs can spoil quickly if left outside. Most dogs love eggs and won’t hesitate to wolf down the forgotten treasures leaving them with upset tummies.
The traditional Easter Lily is so toxic to cats that even a small amount of pollen can cause their kidneys to fail. All lilies are dangerous to cats, but those in the Lilium or Hemerocallis families are the most toxic. Industrious dogs make go to work digging up tulip and hyacinth bulbs. This can be especially problematic because the compounds are stronger in the bulb than the leaves or flowers.